What differentiates, your basement from the rest of your home? Since it's mostly underground, the environment is a unique characteristic of the basement. Being underground contributes to a high level of moisture in our soil, as well as mold and mildew are often found embedded in the basement. While most people ignore the problem by painting over it, some even build a finished basement over top of the problem! At Penguin Basements, we believe the health and safety of your family takes precedent over everything else. Before any work begins, our Basement professionals will do a thorough inspection to make sure there are no health hazards lurking in your basement.
Why basements are different:
- You'll notice that your basement is always cooler than upstairs. That's due to the fact that basements are below grade where the soil is 5-10 C on the outside. Cold air, combined with warm air create relative humidity that can result in a breeding ground for mold, without any water flooding the basement.
- The porous nature of the basement's concrete walls, allows moisture to migrate in and out of the basement in a vapor form. As a result, the air becomes saturated with gallons of water in a vapor form that will ultimately be absorbed by your building materials.
- Other things that can contribute to problems in the basement are sump pumps, flooded drains and hot water tanks leaking.
- It's important to consider all of those issues before deciding on the type of material to use to finish a basement.
Penguin Basement Finishing SYstems are specifically designed to suit the unique basement environment.
- Pre-finished interior modular wall system that looks and feels like drywall
- Waterborne/Organic panel
- Mold, moisture and mildew resistant
- Dense, closed cell foam insulation reduces energy consumption
- Fire resistant, Class A Spread rating
- Strongest system on market holds flat screens and picture frames
- Patented, seamless appearance that can be painted to suit your environment
- 100% recyclable green product
- Professional installation in as little as two weeks